The regular session of the 83rd Texas Legislature concluded Monday, May 27, 2013. More than 300 property tax related bills were filed, and fewer than 80 passed. Five percent of the bill filings concerned property tax. The Governor has until June 16th to veto legislation. Most laws have an effective date of Sept. 1, 2013, or Jan. 1, 2014.
Legislation that will affect property tax administration includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Model appraisal review board hearing procedures (HB 585);
- Public notices concerning effective tax rates for cities and counties (SB 1510);
- Revised residence homestead application requirements (HB 1287);
- Changes to continuing education and registration requirements for county tax assessor-collectors (SB 546); and
- Notices that must be sent by certified mail [Tax Code Sections 23.46(c), 23.54(e), 23.541 (c), 23.55(e), and 23.76 (e)] (HB 242).
The Property Tax Assistance Division will publish a pamphlet with the 2013 update of new laws by mid-August.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us by email or at 1-800-252-9121 (press 2 to access the menu, then press 1 to contact the Information Services Team).
Property Tax Assistance Division